Why that we might receive mercy and find grace to help?
Ever heard the phrase ‘in the nick to time’? How often as a child I watched cowboy movies and the cavalry would come, just as that phrase says.
The writer Morgan says of such a phrase…..
I am never tired of pointing out that the Greek phrase translated “in time of need” is a colloquialism of which “in the nick of time” is the exact equivalent.
“That we may receive mercy and find grace to help in the nick of time”—grace just when and where I need it. You are attacked by temptation. At the moment of assault, you look to Him, and the grace is there to help in the nick of time.
Yesterday we discovered that a throne of grace exists for us to enter any time. In fact, I know one minister who every day goes to the throne of Grace asking and receiving grace and mercy.
The question I ask is why be like the cowboys and wait till the last minute when Jesus urges you to receive mercy and grace?
Mercy = our need for forgiveness when we have allowed temptation to overtake us.
Grace = timely support to help us in times of temptation.
I believe it is a good enough reason to come daily to that throne in preparation for another day. The Lord himself said, “the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak”. Jesus knows our human limitations, knows we need help and therefore has provided it for us. The hymn writer put it like this… “ softly and tenderly Jesus is calling, calling for you and for me” The reason Jesus knows is…
Jesus chose to get involved to help us.
- Jesus partook of flesh and blood, therefore, is qualified to understand. He himself suffered temptation and all that comes a part of being a human being.
- Jesus in Gethsemane needed grace from His Father and the angels came and strengthened Him.
- Christ faced life’s reality too. He is no stranger to real life. He understands what people go through every day since He himself for thirty-three years did just that. Jesus can never be accused of not understanding. In fact, Jesus many times helped those struggling with everyday life.
- Christ empowers people. He promised the believers He would send us someone (the Holy Spirit) who would give people sufficient power to deal with life. Jesus himself urged people to come to Him. “Come unto me all of you who are heavily laden with life. I can help you”.
- When you are tempted, you can come to your great High Priest because He was tempted. He knows we need mercy and grace in temptation. If you sin, you can come to your Advocate for forgiveness (1 John 1:9–2:2). The way is always open.
We do not have to struggle daily. We do not have to wait till the last minute, we can prepare for today. All we have to do is admit we need mercy and grace and just come and ask. Those who ask to receive and are never turned away.
So what stops you? Pride, can do it on my own, not worthy etc
There are no excuses when you are invited, and you are invited so come on LET US Go!!!