I am sure if I asked you to name opposites there would be no problem in doing so or seeing different answers to that question.
The shortest book in the Bible by word count, 3 John, deals with just that topic. We see two men who claim to be followers of Jesus and how they are both just the opposite of each other in behaviour and conduct.
John who is writing to his friend about the opposites is not too pleased, so let us listen in to this conversation as to why opposites can be good or bad.
John starts by comparing physical health to spiritual health, just the opposite. Which one do you think John would have first?
The answer is our spiritual side; read what John says in the third book of John verse two. Just as your soul prospers: John here makes it clear he wants us to prosper as our soul prospers, which begs the question “How is your soul?”.
David Guzik has this to say. Many Christians would be desperately ill if their physical health was instantly in the same state as their spiritual health. It is a question for us followers of Jesus to take seriously.
Finally, let’s compare two opposites namely Diotrephes and Demetrius. As followers of Jesus, we learn much from these two men.
- Loved power
- Told lies about other people
- Proud man
- Would not come under authority
- Unwilling to listen to anyone
- A dictator, in that he decides who comes to church and who does not and who is to be helped and who is not to receive help.
- A good reputation
- Loves truth
- Everyone says good things about him.
- He lives his life in such a way that the truth of the claim he followed Jesus way of living was so clearly seen.
- People had confidence in Demetrius and they trusted him.
So how is your health?
So what opposite are you?
Let us read the advice John himself gives ……
My dear friend, do not follow what is bad; follow what is good. The one who does good belongs to God. But the one who does evil has never known God.3 John 11
Stay safe and Blessed